Monday, May 27, 2013
(10.3.2) Sharad Purnima / Kojagari Vrat / Kojagari Poornima 2016
In the year 2016 Sharad Purnima / Kojagari Purnima / Kojagari Vrat / Sharad Purnima Vrat is on Saturday, 15.10.2016 .
Important things :-
(1) Ashvin Shukla Purnima is known as Sharad Purnima or Kojagari Purnima.
(2) Kojagari means- who is awake? It is believed that on the night of Sharad Purnima , Indra riding on his elephant Eravat and Lakshmi visit every house and ask , " Who is awake ?" And they bless those who are awake. So people remain awake the whole night.They sing religious songs or tell and listen to religious stories.
(2) It is also believed that on this night , the moon light is very bright and the moon showers Amrit through its rays. So people prepare Kheer ( a sweet dish made of milk and rice) and place it in the moonlight through out the night. Next day it is offered to God and distributed as the Prasad to the people.It is said that this Kheer has the power to remove the physical ailments.
(3) Some people believe that threading a needle in the moonlight improves one's eyesight. So they thread a needle in the moonlight.
(4) It is also believed that Lord Krishna started Raas Lila from this night.
(5) Kartik Snan, a holy bath also starts from this day.
Kojagari Vrat :-
The people who observe Kojagari Vrat should worship goddess Lakshmi on the night of Sharad Purnima. The Vrati ( the person who observes fast ) should light at least one hundred earthen lamps at different places like in a temple,on the way,at the cross road, in the streets, on the roof of the houses, in the garden, near the Tulsi plant etc.
Next day in the morning the Vrati should feed the Brahmin with Kheer and give him some money as Dakshina which is considered very fruitful.
Sharad Purnima Vrat:-
The persons who observe fast on Sharad Purnima should get up early in the morning take a bath and worship gods and goddesses.They should make Kheer in the evening and place it in the moonlight. Next day they should offer it to gods and goddesses and distribute it as Prasad. It is believed that the women who keep this fast, their children remain alive and enjoy a long and healthy life.