Dussehra /Vijaydashami 2016
Dashera Festival 2016
Important things related to Vijaya Dashami -
1. Vijya dashami festival is the indicator of the end of rainy season. It is celebrated all our India with pomp and show on Ashvin Shukla Dashami.
2. On this day the Kshatriyas worship the weapons , the Brahmans worship the Shastras ( holy books) and the Vaishyas worship the Bahis ( account books.)
3. Durga idol Visarjan ( immersion ) , Aparajita Pooja , Shami Pooja are the important parts of this festival.
4. In Bengal,people make beautiful images ( idols) of goddess Durga . They offer worships to her for nine day and keep fast . On the tenth day i.e. on Dussehra they observe immersion ceremony of these idols. For it they go to the near by river bank or a pond singing and dancing and immense the idols.
5. It is believed that on this day Lord Ram killed Ravan. So this festival is celebrated in the memory of Ram's victory over Ravan . This was the victory of good over evil.
6. Large effigies of Ravan , his brother Kumbhkarn and his son Meghnath are placed in an open ground and burnt. They produce a thrilling and amusing firework show.
7. Vijaya Dashami is one of the Sadhe teen Swayam siddh Muhurats (self proven muhurtas.) So this day is considered auspicious for starting any new work, purchasing vehicles , opening new shops etc.