In the year 2016 Karthik Poornima is on Monday, 14.11.2016. Karthik Shukla Poornima Samwat 2073.
Kartik Shukla Poornima is known as Kartik Poorinma or Karthiki or Tripuri Poornima.
Important things about Kartik Purnima :-
1. Brahama Vishnu ,Angira and Aadity have recoganised this Purnima as Mahapunit Parva. So on this day bathing ,donation ,Hom, Yagya and Upassana etc give fruitful results.(Vrat Parichay 152)
2.When Karthik Nakshatra falls on this Punima, it is called Maha kartiki. If there is Bharni Nakshatra on this Poorima, it gives special results. Combination of Rohini Nakshatra makes this Poornima more significant.(Vrat Parichay page 152).
3. Matsya Avatar of Lord Vishnu also took place on this day. So the donations given on this day is considered equal to the yagyas.
4. It is believed that the person who takes bath in the Pushkar lake(Pushkar, is a holy city for the Hindus) on Karthik Poornima, his sins are washed off.
5. Keeping fast on this day leads the person to salvation.
6. Kartik Poornima is also the birthday of Gurunanak, the founder of Sikh religion.So it is celebrated as Gurunanak Jayanti.
7. In the honour of Lord Brahama,the Pushkar fair is held at Pushkar (which is the religious place of the Hindus).This fair begins on kartik Shukla Ekadashi (which is also known as Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi)and comes to an end on Kartik shukla Poornima .
8.The Hindus believe that the person who takes a bath in the holy lake of Pushkar,is free from the cycle of life and birth and gets salvation.
Religious importance of Parikrama of Pushkar :-
It is also very auspicious to take a Parikrama (round )of three Pushakars i.e. senior Pushkar, middle Pushkar and junior Pushkar on Kartik Poornima.It is believed that the person who does the Parikrama of three Pushkars on Poornima of Kartik month gets liberation and the sinner becomes free from sins.
The story related to Parikrama is as follows:-
Vrahdrath, the king of Gaur kingdom came to Pushkar every year and went around all the three Pushkars on the night of Kartik Purnima. On one such Purnima night as usual while he was going around Pushkars, some Munis asked him the reason and importance of the Parikrama. At this he told them the following story :-
"In my previous life , I was a dumb and poor man. I used to take the cows of the people to the jungle where they went on grazing. In the evening I brought them back home.One day unfortunately a cow of a Brahaman strayed and went away. I looked for it here and there.In this way I went around all the three Pushkars to look for the cow. At last I found the cow and took it to its owner.As it was almost morning so I took bath in the Pushkar lake,had Darshan of Brahamaji's statue and then I had my meals.Thus on the night of Purnima of the month of Kartik,I unknowingly went around three Pushkars.After some years of this event I was dead.In this birth I have became the king of Gaur kingdom as a result of that Parikrama. Remembering that thing I go around all the three Pushkars on Poornima of kartik."
The Munis were happy to listen to this story.
Therefore, the person who does the Parikrama of three Pushkars on Kartik Purnima, gets liberation and the sinners become free from sins.
Other related Posts :-
1.Kartik Maas / Kartik Snan
2.Religious place Pushkar