In the year 2017 Somvati Amavashya is on -
27.03.2017 - Chaitra Krishna Paksh
21.08.2017 - Bhadrapad Krishnapaksh
18.12.2017 - Paush Krishna
Amavasya Tithi and its lord
According to the Hindu calendar,there is one Amavasyas in a month. Thus there are twelve Amavasya in a year.Like each Tithi, Amavasya also has its own lord and that is Pitar Dev. So the Hindus perform rituals for their departed forefathers on Amavasya.
Which Amavasya is known as Somvati Amavasya
The Amavsya Tithi which falls on Monday is known as Somvati Amavasya. The Somwati Amavasya is the day of worshiping and appeasing ancestors through various rituals and getting their blessings.
Important things about Somvati Amavasya -
(1) As mentioned above Amavasya occurs every month but the Amavasya which falls on Monday is known as Somvati Amavasya.
(2) Somvati Amavasya is considered very pious and important particularly for worshiping and appeasing the departed ancestors.
(3) The Hindus have a bath in the holy rivers on this day with the belief that it (taking bath) makes them free from sins and griefs.
(4) People feed Brahmins to please the souls of their ancestors. They also perform Tarpan and Shraddhkarm rituals.
(5) Giving donation on Somvati Amavasya is considered auspicious as it appeases the ancestors of the person who donates.
(6) It is also believed that observing fast on this day frees the people from their Pitar Dosh.
Other Posts you will like to read -
(10.3.22) Maghi Amavasya
(10.3.36) Hariyali Amavasya
(10.3.37) Shani Amavasya
(6.4.5) Bhaumavati Amavasya
(10.5.7) Amavasya dates in the current year