Maharana Pratap - A great hero and freedom fighterMaharana Pratap is a great Hero in the history of India. Maharana Pratap will always be remembered as the first and the foremost among the torch bearers of freedom fighters and as the greatest of the patriots. His qualities like valor, Chivalry, sufferings and endurance shall always be the ideals for the freedom fighters. The following are some facts and important events about the great Hero -
- Maharana Pratap was born on 9 May, 1540 at Kumbhalgarh in Rajasthan. His father's name was Maharan Udai sing and his mother's name was Rani Jeevant Kanwar. He belonged to Shishodiya Rajput clan.
- The birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap is celebrated every year on the Tritiya Tith in the Shukla Paksh of Jeshth month. (For the date of celebrating Pratap Jayanti this year Click Here.)
- Since his childhood Rana Pratap had all the things that a king, particularly a Khastriya king, needs to have. He was brave and bold. He learnt how to ride a horse and control an unbending horse. He also learnt to use different types of arms.
- After the death of his father Pratap succeeded to the throne. As he was an intelligent and brave person and had all the good qualities of a good ruler so he handled the affairs of the kingdom like an able ruler.
- The battle between the army of Rana Pratap and the army of Moghul emperor Akbar was an important event in the life of Pratap. This battle was fought at Haldighati. A lot of brave and loyal soldiers of Pratap were killed and he himself had to escape on his loyal horse Chetak. He took refuge in the interior parts of Aravali hills.
- The cooperation of Bhamashah one of the ministers of Rana Pratap, came to him and put his wealth at his feet and requested him to accept the wealth so that he ( Rana Pratap ) might raise an army again to free the mother land. Rana Pratap accepted the wealth and an army was raised. Then he attacked the lost territories and conquered most of them except Chittor. Rana Pratap had made a pledge to win back Chittor but he could not do so.
- Thus Maharana Pratap had to struggle through out his life. He kept the torch of freedom burning through out his life.
- He will always be remembered as the person who lived for freedom and died for freedom.
(10.5.6) List of Jayantis and birth day of great persons in the current year